Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A preliminary 2 weekday bread baking plan

Day 1 - early AM before work

Mix a cut up piece of old dough in 1/4 cup warm water and add 2/3 cup flour to make my "old dough starter"

Day 1- early PM

Add 3/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup water creating my "second stage starter"

Day 1- late PM

Mix final dough using the second stage starter plus another 3 1/3 cups flour, 1 1/3 cups water and 1/2 tsp yeast. Mix in the Kitchen Aid with dough hook 5-8 minutes, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon kosher salt while it mixes. Cover and let rise overnight in refrigerator (attempt #1) (attempt #2 will rise on the counter)

Day 2- early AM before workShape the loaves (reserve a piece of dough for next time)
Day 2- all day

Let the loaves rise in floured towel lined baskets on the counter

Day 2- as soon as I get home from workPreheat the oven to 500 degrees, steam the oven and then bake the bread

So this is what I've come up with for my 1st plan of attack for having fresh bread every other day on a working moms schedule. I adapted it from a great recipe in Julia Child's "Baking With Julia". We'll see how it goes. You can see for the last step on Day 1 I have 2 attempts listed. I'm going to try each of these ways of rising the bread and see how it effects the final product. So I guess tomorrow morning I start the 1st step! I'm glad I saved a piece of dough from my last batch of bread! Hmm that means I'll have warm fresh bread Friday night. I was going to make pizza for dinner that night but maybe pasta and a salad instead...

No comments:

Post a Comment